An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:41:34 UTC 2008

Tom Tromey wrote:

>>> Closing a bug report with "report it upstream" is a let down. It's
>>> repetitive boring work that a computer should be doing.
>
> Kevin> There's no way we can fix them all by ourselves, the only way
> Kevin> to actually get things fixed is to report them to the actual
> Kevin> upstream maintainers of the concrete application you're having
> Kevin> issues with. And I don't think KDE is the only set of packages
> Kevin> in this situation.
>
> What would be good here is an easy way to push a report upstream.
>
> This would solve the Fedora maintainer's problem ("this is not our
> bug") without requiring extra work from the bug reporter (who is
> probably lazy like me, and anyway isn't in as good a position to
> triage a report as the Fedora maintainer).

Seconded.

As a Fedora end user, rather than a developer, if I report a bug
to Fedora BZ and get told to put it upstream I then have to go and
get a BZ account for upstream.  That may seem trivial but I now
have accounts on quite a few BZs, each of which was only used to
report one or two bugs.

No, the maintainer shouldn't have to act as a proxy, but it would
be nice to have some automated mechanism that would.

--
imalone