Fedora 8/ARM available

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Thu Jan 24 01:28:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:33:30PM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> >
> > The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> > little endian.  The majority of the important and frequently used
> > Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
> >
> > The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
> > 	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
> >
> > The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
> > prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
> > into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
> > endian mode.  Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
> > which is provided in the filesystem.
> >
> > A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> > 	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
> >
> > There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> > 	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
> >
> > Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> > you run into so that we can fix them.
>
> How long until you have instructions on installing Fedora on the
> n800/n810? :)

An unmodified Fedora/ARM root filesystem is probably too big to fit
inside the flash of an n800/n810.  We have a bunch of tools for
footprint optimisation, but those need some more work before we'll
make them generally available.

Of course, if you really want, you could run the NFS-enabled kernel
images on your n800/n810 and chroot into a Fedora/ARM filesystem
mounted over NFS. :-)