Requesting feedback for unaccepted Fedora features

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 02:37:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 21:16 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:49:21PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> >
> >> In addition, the following features are targeted for Fedora 9 in their
> >> writeup, but are not in CategoryProposedFedora9.  If you have no intention
> >> of completing them for Fedora 9,
> >> please remove Fedora 9 as the targeted release so that there is no
> >> confusion that it will not be in Fedora 9.  These features will never be
> >> raised for acceptance by FESCo.
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureXULRunner
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewGdm
> >>

> > So what happens if these never get officially "accepted" as Fedora 9
> > features?  Do we rip out XULRunner and back down to the old GDM?  Who
> > is going to enforce that?
> >

> This is a good point. A couple of these features have kind of happened
> anyway, and are now easier to run with than they are to revert. What do
> we do about this?

We are not at feature freeze time yet, so it is not time to talk about
reverting anything yet. Also, not being accepted is not the same as
being rejected to the point of reversal. First and foremost it means
that the feature will not be touted as one of the major breakthroughs
of F9.

Looking at the two features that have been cited, we have every
intention to finish them for F9. I assume that finishing the feature
itself takes priority over keeping the wiki page uptodate...