Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 03:04:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:41:40 -0500
Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:

> i.e.
> primary-1201140584.sqlite.bz2
>
> This would be an elegant solution, but will it be possible for us to
> migrate to because older clients wouldn't be able to handle it?
>
> I'm guessing not, so here are other less efficient but workable
> solutions.

Hrm, I would think that this would be possible for recentish clients
(RHEL5 and later?).  repomd.xml lists out what the other files are,
and the checksums of them, so if the files are named slightly different
yum should handle it I would think.

In fact, I just tried this by hand.  I edited repomd.xml and changed
'primary.sqlite.bz2' to 'primary-1234.sqlite.bz2' and then moved the
file on the file system.  Yum client didn't even blink, it happily
downloaded the -1234 file.

So if this method is possible, does that change things for the better
for you?  I think all it would require is slight modification to
createrepo so that it could timestamp the repo files.

--
Jesse Keating