Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 24 04:45:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:28:01 -0600, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
>
>> Yum and Proxy Caches: Current Dangers
>> =====================================
>> Users may be using proxy servers in 3 (or more) ways:
>
> Is there a reasonable way to make yum automatically use files cached in
> these local proxies when run by multiple users that share the proxy but
> don't know about each other?  Picking some random mirror for each will
> defeat the caching since they will have different URLs to get the same
> file.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring/SiteLocalMirrors
This page needs updating, but it sort of describes what you need to do.
Use your Fedora account to login to MirrorManager and add a private mirror
for yourself along with a site-local netblock in CIDR notation so the
mirror master knows to serve to you when yum clients come from your
network.  After a few hours, mirror lists will serve your mirror first,
then random other mirrors in your country/region.

Example, I have InstantMirror running on my Buffalo Linkstation (hard drive
+ ethernet running embedded Linux) at home.  I gave that box a private IP
address and pointed a sub-domain name at that (so I could use Apache
name-based VirtualHost for InstantMirror).  I then added to MirrorManager
"Warren's Private Home Mirror" which only I can see when I login to the
management interface.  In both cases it is REALLY handy when all of your
local clients automatically begin using your local mirror.

Oh, there might be one more complication.  You may need to checkout the
sources for MirrorManager and run the script that reports to MirrorManager
that your mirror is populated.  I think mdomsch mentioned that the checkbox
on the MirrorManager interface isn't yet working.  Matt, what's the status
of this?

Hopefully that last wrinkle should be gone soon.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com