Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 07:52:37 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Interesting, but it still requires custom setup for any distro/version
> that the proxy admin would want to support. What I'd really like to
> happen is for yum to just always prefer the same URL when working
> through the same proxy so caching would work by default without needing
> to be aware of the cache content.  This would work automatically if the
> target was a single site, RRDNS, or geo-ip managed DNS, but you probably
> can't arrange that for all the repo mirrors. There has to be some clever
> way to get the same effect even when using a mirrorlist - like making
> sure the mirrorlist itself is cached and always picking the same entry
> so any client will use the same URL that the mirrormanger gave to the
> first one that made a request.  Of course you'd need a reasonable retry
> mechanism to pick something else if this choice fails but I'd guess it
> would be a big win in bandwidth use and load on the mirrors if it worked
> most of the time to take advantage of existing local caches with no
> modifications.

I just thought of a simple but gross solution for you.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

It sounds like you are using a transparent proxy.  Just redirect
mirrors.fedoraproject.org to localhost at another port and serve files
so the mirrorlist URL's hand back a single mirror of your choosing.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com