Fedora 8/ARM available

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Jan 24 13:48:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:13:05AM -0600, Jima wrote:
>>  I'd love to get Fedora on my NSLU2 -- although that'll probably require
>> me to find/buy a USB hard drive. :-)
>
> That would certainly be the easiest way.
>
> There are ways of reducing footprint so that your fs will fit in flash
> (some of which used internally), but the more effective ones are
> generally one-way, and things like 'yum update' are rather hard to
> keep working after you've slimmed your filesystem down to 4MB. :-)

  Well, the semi-obvious question to me is, could one use the flash for
/boot (or such), and load the drivers for the USB et al via initrd?  Or
would that even fit?  (Looking at x86_64, at least, my kernel is 1.9mb and
my initrd is 3.8mb -- ouch.)  Or is there some other intermediary that
could load an OS wholly installed on a USB drive?  I can't claim to be an
expert with the NSLU2 -- I haven't really touched it since I got OpenWRT
on it.  (And before you ask why I even bought one: I got it secondhand.
Cheap.)
  I would dream of trying to install/run Fedora without external media on
the thing -- it was most certainly a joke. :-)

      Jima