Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:28:27 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> But you are doing things that aren't guaranteed to work in the first
>> place.  All the cache does is expand the window for breakage a bit.
>
> You're perfectly right. Smart web clients know the internet can shift
> under their feet and refresh files in case of problems instead of
> failing horribly on users (in the browser case you have a big refresh
> button for this reason). Though smart web designers know client
> refreshes are expensive and limit the refresh needs by avoiding to reuse
> the same filenames for different stuff.

Getting a bit off the original topic here, but the "other" thing I've
always wished yum could do is "repeatable" updates.  That is, the
ability to update one machine, test some things, then update another and
  get only the same set of changes even if some newer packages had been
subsequently added to the repos.  Currently I believe the only way to do
this is to mirror the entire set of repos in each state that you might
want to re-use.  Perhaps some transactioning info could fix both things
at once.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com