long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 06:19:54 UTC 2008

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:11:46 +0100
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>
> > How can I? If I'd buy RHEL, I wouldn't want to use CentOS, if I were
> > using CentOS I wouldn't want to use RHEL. In both cases, I probably
> > would not want to use Fedora :/
>
> Nice strawman.
>
> In a previous job I used
>
> A) RHEL for various mission critical systems where we wanted a Support
> contract.
>
> B) CentOS for less critical systems and development systems.
>
> C) Fedora on the desktops/laptops/etc...
>
> I wanted and used all three.
My view is different.

Running any OS comes at a price. It's only a matter of "whom to pay for
what and how much" and on finding an individually acceptable/reasonable
"price/performance" ratio.

That said, all of the 3 above are candidates suitable for different
scenarios.

* For those with "competent and/or cheap manpower" (e.g. universities)
CentOS and Fedora are suitable "construction kits".

* Those with little competent and/or cheap manpower, will have to
outsource/buy-in IT - With RHEL, money flows to RH, with CentOS/Fedora
money flows to other parties.

Ralf