long term support release

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 16:22:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:20:59 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, it would be a big win for the fedora 'brand' perception to make
> it actually usable instead of just a rolling alpha/beta for RHEL.  If
> you are going to argue that such a perception shouldn't exist, just
> say so instead of claiming that it's too hard or that failed earlier
> attempts prove it can't be done.

I think there would be some value to having CentOS associated with the
Fedora brand...

>  > With EPEL you can get just about all the functionality you
> > need, with a few minor exceptions.  I'm not sure I get the point of
> > rebuilding things again and pushing them out through a different
> > update system.
>
> That's *if* you uninstall fedora and re-install RHEL or CentOS, and
> then locate and install all of the matching packages you had, which
> may or may not be possible and it's certainly not easy.  Shouldn't
> you reward the people who survived the wild and crazy changes that
> fedora makes in the first 2 revs after the RHEL cuts with a version
> that continues to run for a while without security worries?  I think
> this would attract a lot more fedora users and be a good thing all
> the way around.  Now for a *really* warm/fuzzy about the free
> software community, you could just converge this version's update
> repo with the corresponding EPEL/centos/centosplus repo contents and
> make them end up the same without a re-install or any duplication of
> infrastructure at all.  I haven't done a whole lot of
> cross-rebuilding, but off the top of my head I can't think of
> anything that wouldn't work unchanged between FC6/Centos5 and if
> there are any they are probably artifacts of post-cut fedora-side
> updates to FC6 that wouldn't have necessarily been done with a
> converged plan.

Now you're talking about something different, a migration plan for
Fedora -> EL based on said release.  That I could see some great value
in, and it shouldn't be too difficult to start working down this path,
and getting into the heads of the EL creators that this is something
we'd like to see made possible, rather than difficult, by the EL
development.

Sounds like a SIG to me...

--
Jesse Keating