long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:33:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:59 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 23:47 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Jan 24, 2008 11:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > > Also, wouldn't you consider the fact Ubuntu launches "Ubuntu LTS" to be
> > > evidence enough that others see a market nice?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu LTS is something that Canonical as a
> > business entity as chosen to launch and leverages as part of its
> > business model and is not in point of fact relying primarily on
> > community manpower to make the LTS offering actually work.  Find me a
> > business entity who would like to do something similar in Fedora space
> > and I'll gladly talk to them about making room in the project.
> There is one difference between Fedora and Ubuntu:
>
> * Fedora is backed up by an actively contributing community.
> * RH/fedoraproject.org has the technical resources.
>
> There is only one thing missing: a culture of openness and a lack of
> confidence into the powers of open development.

Ralf, no one but yourself is stopping you from being the catalyst for
getting people to do this. See a problem, be the agent to make it
better. When Fedora Legacy was falling apart you could have taken it
over.. but it would seem you just wanted to save up your problems for
later emails. If you want to make an LTS, then start it up. If there
is a market for it, you can find the people and money to do so.