F9 for Eeepc

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sat Jan 26 03:23:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 15:39 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I got myself an Eeepc to play around with and I'd love to get Fedora
> running on it.  Issues that I'm aware of:
>
> - Ethernet driver.  Controller is an Attansic Tech L2 100Mbit Ethernet
> Adapter (rev a0) (0200:  1969:2048).  This uses the atl2 driver.  Anyone
> have any ideas on the chances of this going upstream?  Interestingly I
> see this in some of the 2.0.3 files:
>
>     * Copyright(c) 2007 Chris Snook <csnook at redhat.com>

Chris posted patches upstream on netdev a few weeks ago.  It's
happening, though I forget if the driver had to go through another
revision or what.  Hopefully will hit 2.6.25, though it's not in
garzik's netdev-2.6.25 yet so it might not.

> - Wireless driver.  Controller is an Atheros AR5007EG 802.11 b/g
> Wireless PCI Express Adapter.   (168c:001c rev 01).  Distributed
> versions appears to use the madwifi drivers.  Sounds like ath5k is the
> way forward though.

ath5k is definitely the way forward.  madwifi will _never_ get upstream
(binary HAL, uses a different 802.11 stack).  Unfortunately, ath5k
doesn't yet support PCI-E, which is being worked on.  So people will
have to keep installing madwifi for the time being.

Dan