Smolt RFC: File System Information

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 04:35:45 UTC 2008

Hey list,

I'm looking to get some input on a feature that was requested of
Smolt.  One file system engineer wants to collect some basic data
about file systems in use, for fine tuning the default settings in
Fedora and RHEL.  This is something that we can all benefit by, and
the greater participation we give, the better the results are going to
be for everyone.  To hilight the information to be collected, actions
speak louder than words:

yankee at dao:~$ sudo stat -f /dev/main/fedora8
  File: "/dev/main/fedora8"
    ID: 0        Namelen: 255     Type: tmpfs
Block size: 4096       Fundamental block size: 4096
Blocks: Total: 258215     Free: 258199     Available: 258199
Inodes: Total: 223935     Free: 222932

(Actually I think something might be broken, that data doesn't look
correct for me)

In short, it will collect a list of file systems + types, and their usage stats.

For the time being the stats won't be published on the web site.
We're having some reporting issues, and I don't want to add another
long running SQL query into the mix.  However, anyone will be free to
ask one of us to report on that information. Furthermore, this
information will be enabled by default, for the time being, until we
have thing set up to allow fine grained information hiding.  Remember,
all profiles will be anonymous as usual.

Are there any underlying security or privacy issues here that would be
a clear reason not to do this?  Any other comments, or refinements?

If not, i'll look at getting this done right away, so that it will be
in the latest released pushed to Fedora 9 Beta.  This means it will be
tested and backported to other versions of Fedora, as we're going to
have to break older clients for other reasons.  In other words, speak
up now before it finds its way into your systems along with all the
other cool things that Smolt does.

Cheers,
Yaakov