long term support release

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Jan 26 08:13:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 07:51:36PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>
> > The trick would be RH to freely release RHEL instead of forcing others
> > to recompile packages, such these guys can contribute to EPEL instead
> > of having to waste their time and resources on rebuilding.
>
> No disagreement here.

They don't even need to release "RHEL", but only the packages except
for the trademark packages (images etc.), so that Fedora can simply
create a distro out of it.

<I_am_not_a_lawyer>

Havig said that, in the past I have heard RH people saying that they
don't understand why people are rebuilding the binaries (except
trademark packages etc. of course), as they (the single packages,
not RHEL as a "composition") may be distributed freely.

Either this is not true, or nobody has ever done the work to find
this out in detail.

</I_am_not_a_lawyer>

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>