Fedora Education Spin

sebastian at when.com sebastian at when.com
Sat Jan 26 19:11:25 UTC 2008

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> I think for "Education"  you are missing "kdeedu".
I had it in my first spins, but it blew everything up... with its
dependencies, it brought several hundred megabytes of data to the cd.
> The kdeedu of KDE4 (in rawhide) has a wonderful collection of
> applications for education.

I totally agree with you, there is really great software in kdeedu; I
have also thought of including marble and kalgebra, which are already in
Fedora 8...
> Gcompris also is to my eyes a wonderful application and is attractive
> to many educational institutions in Europe.
Gcompris is also great - and big. It has not so many dependencies, but
it has its audio files for quite a lot of languages. It would be the
smaller problem...

You see, what my problem is: I think even a switch from Gnome to Xfce
would not give me enough free space, to include all the software I would
like to include. I had created a Xfce based test cd, but after having
included GCompris, there was no further space available. I think, a
possible solution would be, to kick out some other tools (like firefox
and totem, but I think this would not be enough...) - or, to create a dvd...

Thanks for your suggestions ;) - I will create some further builds and
have a look at this...
Sebastian