F9 Alpha spinning

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Sun Jan 27 13:35:33 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:
> Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka <at> ntfs-3g.org> writes:
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ntfs-3g.devel/392
>
> Well, your arguments are pretty unconvincing, and apply to a lot of
> application-library relationships, still usually library users won't fork a
> library just for that, or when they do, Fedora won't ship their fork.

This is the only way currently we can afford to assure best reliability,
which is the highest priority for the project. If a file system driver fails
then a reboot, package upgrade/downgrade, or fsck won't guarantee users will
get back their lost data. We prefer to avoid such scenarios, or if they still
happen then solve them as fast as possible.

We have worked hard not to make the above mandatory, so if one prefers to use
--with-fuse=external and take the responsibility then he is able to do so.

> Your worries about old FUSE versions being used are also unfounded

The reliability problems weren't only coming from the old FUSE versions.
That's a pretty easy case: upgrade. But they were also coming from the
always current one and potentially from future ones untested with the driver.

The main point is that we can guarantee now at least this

     http://ntfs-3g.org/quality.html

independently of the used old, current or future FUSE user space.

       Szaka

--
NTFS-3G:  http://ntfs-3g.org