Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:23:28 UTC 2008

chasd wrote:

>> Wild idea:
>>
>> A yum plugin that short-circuits any downloading where the expected
>> checksum of the data is known beforehand. It would first ask on the
>> local network for the file, providing:
>>
>>       * The baseurl or mirrorlist url.
>>       * The path relative to the root of the repo.
>>       * The name of the file.
>>       * The expected checksum.
>>
>> If no yum cache service is available on the network, no such service has
>> a suitable file or the request times out (a short timeout, 1 second
>> perhaps), the plugin would fall back to the baseurl or mirrors as usual.
>
> That looks to me like an ad-hoc peer-to-peer network.
> If you have a small network of machines and want to take advantage of
> caching, share the files yum has cached locally to other Fedora network
> nodes.
>
> Sounds like a project for me, eh ?

It sounds fairly horrible to me to have every single application you
might run that could share something set up its own file sharing service
and client - and I'd expect such things to be actively blocked by
sensible firewall administrators.  How about something that would act
like a symlink of /var/cache/yum to an explicitly mapped shared
directory common to the machines? One could offer to be the server, but
that shouldn't be a requirement.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com