long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:26:30 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 6:29 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Does such a thing("some sort of performance metric") exist for Fedora
> >> itself?
> >>
> >> Richard
> >
> > That would be impossible... one cannot have a performance metric of
> > something so vague as a whole project this size (except in politics).
>
> If you can't measure something, how can you ever improve it - or know
> whether you did?

Wow management zen.  Or as my boss once said "If you fart in your
cubicle at lunch, does it smell?" You can only measure such large
scale items with various statistical shenanigans. You are having to
deal with multiple projects, multiple codebases and interactions that
are probably on the order of 2^64 or greater. At which point you can
only try to come up with the entropy of the entire system.. but with
the inaccuracy that you are measuring from within the system and not
outside.