long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:33:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 9:01 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> >> If a minute downtime is millions of USD, you surely can afford a few
> >> thousands to set up several machines and failover, soy you /can/ do
> >> the patching and rebooting without visible downtime.
> >
> > And testing of your failover system, and practicing emergency drills,
> > and....
>
> What process transformed mid/end life FC3 and FC6 into very stable,
> reliable OS's very much like the subsequent RHEL cut?  I can't be the
> only person who sees the difference at those points from the previous
> fedora versions.

Nothing did. EL-4 and EL-5 were cut from pre-releases of FC3 and
FC6... not mid/end-life versions. Fixes in final FC3/6 were pushed
upstream and vice versa but the 2 diverged in a yellow wood at least a
month before FC3 or 6 were released. So by the time  FC3 and 6 were
released EL-4 and EL-5 was already set in stone. You can get FC3/6
stuff to work on an EL-4/5 box but only to an extent.