long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:08:48 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> And testing of your failover system, and practicing emergency drills,
>>> and....
>> What process transformed mid/end life FC3 and FC6 into very stable,
>> reliable OS's very much like the subsequent RHEL cut?  I can't be the
>> only person who sees the difference at those points from the previous
>> fedora versions.
>>

> Nothing did. EL-4 and EL-5 were cut from pre-releases of FC3 and
> FC6... not mid/end-life versions. Fixes in final FC3/6 were pushed
> upstream and vice versa but the 2 diverged in a yellow wood at least a
> month before FC3 or 6 were released. So by the time  FC3 and 6 were
> released EL-4 and EL-5 was already set in stone. You can get FC3/6
> stuff to work on an EL-4/5 box but only to an extent.

So there were no actual metrics or systematic processes used to
transform the buggy FC2 and FC4/5 releases into the fairly usable
FC3/FC6 versions?  That's hard to believe, and especially that it just
happened to converge with the RHEL releases - unless it is the fixes
from the RHEL beta process simply overwhelming the normal fedora updates
and forcing stability.  And as for differences between FC6 and RHEL5, I
thought that the Centos group reported that some binaries were not even
rebuilt from their FC6 versions.  Did I miss something there?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com