Libsoup troubles in rawhide (compat-libsoup22 needed)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 02:28:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 14:59 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> DB> The new "libsoup" library in rawhide, version 2.3.0, introduces a
> DB> lot of API incompatibility, comparing with the previous 2.2.x
> DB> versions. There are even some design changes, hence it seems
> DB> impossible for package maintainers to do "just a monkey job" of
> DB> renaming functions etc. In my case of "libtranslate" (which
> DB> depends on libsoup), it requires a deep upstream intervention
> DB> (which, surely, was not in upstream's todo list...)
>
> DB> It could be fine to have "libsoup22" or "compat-libsoup-2.2"
> DB> package in rawhide.
>
> Not to mention the fact that this major soname ABI/API bump was not
> announced in advance!  The maintainer should have posted at least a
> day or so in advance to fedora-devel-announce-list to warn packagers
> in advance of the major change (which would have allowed discussion of
> the possibility of the necessity of introducing compat-libsoup type
> package).

I'm not the maintainer of libsoup.  But I own one of the broken packages
(drivel).  A cursory look -- by which I mean "asking people who I'm sure
would know" ;-) -- tells me there's no written policy on this in the
wiki to which maintainers should refer.  If there truly isn't one, and
people feel there should be, I humbly suggest those people should
document the policy on the wiki in the generally accepted manner.  While
I personally believe in bending over backward to inform everyone about
these changes well in advance, a policy is less dependent on personal
predilections. :-)

/me goes off to figure out how the heck to fix his package now.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/