Re: Debian style net-install ISOs (from FudCON Raleigh)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:59:24 +0000 (UTC)
Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:

> Michael DeHaan <mdehaan <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Fedora could really use Debian style net install ISOs.
> >
> > For those unfamiliar with the concept ... assume a minimally sized image
> > that is enough to start up a net install for all content.
>
> We already have that, it's called boot.iso.

There are actually two minimal images that have already been pointed out, but for clarification:

boot.iso - Just stage 1 part of the installer, does not contain the large stage 2 image.  With this disc, the stage 2 image will be downloaded if you select HTTP or FTP install methods and then mounted.  If you do hard disk or NFS, it will just find the stage 2 image and mount it.

rescuecd.iso - Both stage 1 and stage 2.  Regardless of your install method, the stage 2 image is always read from the installation media with this disc.

I tend to go with the rescuecd.iso disc and do HTTP installs.  Works great, download time is minimal for the image itself.  And if you have a local mirror of the release, installation won't take forever.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI