pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 08:31:13 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
>> No, but I have had problems with pulseaudio and arts on the same
>> system.  I wasn't around to hear the discussion about including
>> pulseaudio in F8...why did we go down that road?
>
> Maybe because pulseaudio is to arts what playstation is to atari?  Now
> I'm a big fan of atari, but its old.  Pulseaudio is very cool, just not
> perfect yet.

Perhaps a better analogy would be 3DO to Atari.  Pulseaudio has a really
cool design, but arts actually makes noise come out of my speakers.
After dozens of F8 installs on 5 different machines, I have completely
given up on getting sound to work with KDE.  If I want sound, I have F7
and my old Mac.  I imagine Ubuntu would work fine as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that the Gnome developers are pushing
ahead with all this neat stuff, but I wish they'd just let KDE be KDE if
they're not even going to bother testing it.  Every Red Hat/Fedora
release since Red Hat 9 has had glaring KDE bugs not found in any other
distribution.

	-- Chris