Debian style net-install ISOs (from FudCON Raleigh)

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Jan 31 14:21:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> One thing that's missing is decent support for having the Internet
> connection directly on the machine, i.e. we can't rely on a DSL router
> being present which provides the Internet connection. To do that we'd
> need the PPPoe bits in the installer image and appropriate code in
> anaconda. Bonus points if the upgrade method would pull the DSL
> configuration bits from the already installed OS.
>
> NB: I guess something similar goes for cable modems.

  I've dealt with a lot of cable modems, but none that come to mind
require software on the computer other than a TCP/IP stack.  (MAC address
registration crap aside.)  DSL with PPPoE authentication is a bit of a
corner case (but a valid one!).

      Jima

  (who supports 14 cable modem connections, 3 DSL w/o PPPoE, and 1 DSL with
PPPoE...all terminated with OpenWRT devices)