trying to build rpm for google gears

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:58:52 UTC 2008

Hi there,
   I'm working with OLPC (one laptop per child) and am trying to port Google
Gears to Sugar (running on Fedora 9) so that we can start working on some
offline web based apps (like Offline Moodle.) Ive managed to get a
subversion checkout of the source code for google gears, and managed to
successfully compile it, noting down required dependencies and the like. It
was suggested to me that I should post here to see if someone doesn't have
some suggestions on building an rpm for mozilla (xulrunner 1.9) based
extensions...
   I am aware that gears is normally packaed as a .xpi, but that wont work
for the XO laptops... it must be a rpm that I can install system wide from
the command line. Any help is much appreciated. I'm pretty new to building
rpms, as I come from a debian based background, but I'm sure its not all
that different from building debs...

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche
OLE Nepal and OLPC