f-spot is orphaned: in danger of being removed from Fedora

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 00:35:04 UTC 2008

2008/7/6 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:

> Alex Lancaster <alexl <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > error CS0136: A local variable named `result' cannot be declared in this
> > scope because it would give a different meaning to `result', which is
> already
> > used in a `method argument' scope to denote something else
> > generated/VolumeAdapter.cs(152,72): (Location of the symbol related to
> > previous error)
>
> This error message says you have a variable in an inner scope shadowing a
> variable in an outer scope. This is allowed in "the programmer is always
> right"
> type languages like C or C++, but not in "let's try to prevent common
> mistakes
> by banning the constructs which cause them" type languages like Java or C#.
> (The potential mistake in this case is of course confusing the variables
> with
> the same name, i.e. trying to refer to the outer "result" variable and
> getting
> the inner one instead.)
>
> The obvious fix is of course to rename the local "result" variable to
> something
> non-conflicting. Given that this code appears to be automatically
> generated,
> the patch will probably have to be applied to the generator.

The more disturbing thing, if I read the output correctly is that it happens
while compiling gio-sharp.dll which definitely shouldn't be in f-spot. I
haven't had time to take a stab at the offending code but it feels like it
is including gnome-desktop-sharp stuff. In that case the correct fix would
be making it use the system libraries.