trying to build rpm for google gears

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sun Jul 6 16:21:07 UTC 2008

David Van Assche wrote:
> It
> was suggested to me that I should post here to see if someone doesn't have
> some suggestions on building an rpm for mozilla (xulrunner 1.9) based
> extensions...
>    I am aware that gears is normally packaed as a .xpi, but that wont work
> for the XO laptops... it must be a rpm that I can install system wide from
> the command line.

Hi,

I don't know that much about Xulrunner and even less about the OLPC software
stack, but I have packaged one xulrunner-based Firefox extension, which is
currently under review. The spec file is at
<http://vpv.fedorapeople.org/packages/mozvoikko/mozvoikko.spec>.

>From the website I understood that Google Gears is a Firefox extension on the
client side. Does the OLPC actually use Firefox or some other Mozilla based
browser?

The .xpi file is basically "just" a renamed zip file, so you need to extract
it and then install the files to the "correct" location, which depends on the
browser used. In the case of the mozvoikko extension I
use %{_libdir}/mozilla/extensions/%{firefox_app_id}/%{firefox_ext_id},
where %{firefox_app_id} is ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384 (Firefox's
ID) and %{firefox_ext_id} is the ID of the extension (ok, the naming is a bit
misleading here ;). I hope this helps, at least a little.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio