Request to re-add option to disable SELinux - compromise

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:54:41 UTC 2008

Denis Leroy wrote:
> max bianco wrote:
>> Can an option to completely disable the ability to disable SELinux be
>> added? I'd rather there was no way to turn it off at all.
>
> that doesn't make *any* sense

It make as much sense as the rest of this thread and what it proposes.
Yes I realize this is extreme but no more extreme in my view than
disabled by default or offering the option at install time. There is
already a way to disable it if you know enough and if you don't then you
need it on anyway. For crying out loud my girlfriend uses Fedora, her
use is much closer to average than any of the rest of us and SELinux has
*never* caused her a problem. My mother, as computer illiterate as they
come( no disrespect intended Mom) does not have any problems. This
conversation is pointless, I see a hundred posts about people
complaining about people discussing things like the GPL on a developer's
list, a subject quite relevant in my view, but when the idea of
disabling practically the only security present on the system is brought
up , it actually gets entertained? Disable it?!?What?!? It seems to me
that entirely too many people have their priorities seriously out of
whack. In today's world, security better be the first consideration. The
internet is a war zone. Any scum bag with a linux box can make a snazzy
web page and lure in the unsuspecting. I don't think anyone is claiming
SELinux is the  be-all end-all of security tools but considering its one
of the very few *real* security tools available I don't see how this
thread has managed to get this long. I've said my bit.

Max