New PackageKit and gnome-packagekit in F9 soon

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 17:27:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 06:08:30PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've built ???new builds of PackageKit ???and gnome-packagekit and moved
> them into updates-testing. The new major version is hopefully much
> better from a UI perspective and hopefully much more stable but is an
> API break from 0.1.x.
>
> The builds for F9 are here:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54830
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54886
>
> Please test these packages, and report any bugs on email (reply to this
> thread please), rather than the admin update page. When we've got quite
> a bit of testing and ironed out and regressions then I'll push to
> stable.

Biggest problem is that it has broken ABI in the .so without changing
the .so version. So the automatically ELF library dependancies added
by RPM don't protect you during update.

Before upgrade:

  # rpm -q PackageKit-libs
  PackageKit-libs-0.1.12-13.20080522.fc9.x86_64
  # rpm -q --provides PackageKit-libs | grep libpackage
  libpackagekit.so.3()(64bit)

After the upgrade

  # rpm -q PackageKit-libs
  PackageKit-libs-0.2.3-2.fc9.x86_64
  # rpm -q --provides PackageKit-libs | grep libpackage
  libpackagekit.so.3()(64bit)

Same soname version, different ABI :-(

And since gnome-packagekit versioning is done on the soname:

  # rpm -q --requires gnome-packagekit | grep libpackage
  libpackagekit.so.3()(64bit)

You can update PackageKit-libs without updating gnome-packagekit
and get a broken install due to the ABI change:

  # gpk-application
  gpk-application: symbol lookup error: gpk-application: undefined symbol: pk_enum_list_new

So if you want to push this to F9 you'll need to make sure that the
new PackageKit-libs RPM, has a Conflicts: gnome-packagekit < 0.2.3-3.fc9
or re-spin the upstream release to increment the .soname version

Daniel