mobile broadband support

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:42:28 UTC 2008

>> (I believe the answer is that the signal strength requires card-specific
>> logic which isn't documented, so this isn't easy to implement)
>>
> I finally located an area in the wiki for this:
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband
>
>   "Signal strength while connected is not supported at this time because
> most cards use proprietary protocols to retrieve signal strength while
> connected."
>
> and this was for Fedora 9 release.  So maybe some work will happen for
> Fedora 10 that would start to add signal strength display for these cards.

I think part of the problem is that you need two serial ports/control
ports to be able to get signal at the same time as being connected and
not all cards have the two ports to do that. There's umtsmon but I'm
not sure it works at the same time as NetworkManager

http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/

Peter