InstantMirror Redesign / current best /simplest way to achieve

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 15:14:33 UTC 2008

Suren Karapetyan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 23:08 +1000, David Timms wrote:
>> A long, long time ago, Kulbir Saini wrote:
>>>          Thank a lot for noting down all those points. They helped me to have
>>> a more clear idea of InstantMirror. And thanks for the encouragement
>>> as well :)
>> Hi, wondering what is considered _the_ current approach for making an
>> internal Fedora proxy mirror ?
>> Does the MirrorManager 0.4 code actually work, eg for 5 PC's ?
>>
>> Did something else {other than full rsync mirroring} emerge to solve
>> this type of problem ?
>>
>> I was wondering if an automated way to get the clients to use the proxy
>> / cache would by to implement dns entries for the real yum server names,
>> that point to your internal ~mirror server; and hence bypass requiring
>> individual machine proxy setup ?
>>
>> Regards, DaveT.
>>

> Even with all it's weeknesses InstantMirror could be used with
> MirrorManager to do transparent caching/mirroring...
> Take a system with enough HDD space, install instantmirror,
> go to mirror manager admin page, create a new site, add your ips, and
> the mirror.
> The get the mirror reporting script and make it run with cron :)
> It isn't perfect but it's much berrer than nothing

I personally use squid in reverse proxy mode instead of InstantMirror.
The main drawback of squid is the cache cannot be shared for other
protocols (like rsync), but it is otherwise better because it handles
cleanup and respects whatever maximum amount of storage you set.
InstantMirror will keep growing and growing until it exhausts all space.
  InstantMirror also poorly handles concurrent clients.

Warren