Do we have Deep Freeze/Clean Slate like tool?

Dave Quigley dpquigl at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Jul 8 16:11:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 10:38 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 19:52:51 +0530,
>   lakshmi pathi <lakshmipathi.g at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Recently i came across Deep Freeze/Clean slate  in a linux forum.Do we
> > have open source alternative to these tools?
> > Is that really helpful tool for linux user? Please share your thoughts.
>
> Have you looked at xguest? Depending on exactly what you are doing it might
> be suitable for your purpose. One note about customizing the profile is that
> sabayon has a couple of bugs that prevent doing some types of customization.
> But that may not be a show stopper for you. xguest is set up to do
> unauthenticated logins. There might be problems with giving unauthenticated
> access to the network, even if it is only through firefox.

I was looking through the xguest package and as of right now it seems
like it is setup just to deal with one user. However I'm sure it could
be adapted such that the xguest init script can take a user that it
wants to turn into an xguest account. The xguest package is a confined
SELinux user (xguest_u) with an init script and specialized
configuration data. If the script can be modified to take the user name
you could probably use it to make arbitrary home directories into xguest
accounts. I'm sure Dan has more to say about this since he is the author
of the xguest package.

Dave