pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 01:53:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 17:49 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Yes I've monitored it, it increments every few seconds when the system
> is idle. If I do something to keep the disk active, it does not
> increment. If I set the power save level up to 254, it stops
> incrementing. I'm certain the value is accurate.

In some testing tonight, the wakeups appear to be from kjournald,
perhaps on the order of the atime updates.  When I remount my /
and /boot filesystems with noatime the very frequent writes go away.
Now I only see writes every 20 seconds or so, caused by various parts of
software that I'm trying to track down.

I think it's really two things going on.  1) bioses are setting the
harddrive to be very aggressive about parking, and 2) we're waking up
the disk /way/ too frequently.

If anybody would like to help me track down causes of 2 and file bugs,
that would be awesome!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!