Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Dale Stimson rhl+dale at riyescott.com
Wed Jul 9 16:12:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:51:15PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> At long last, we are about to get a brand new RPM version (alpha snapshot
> at the moment) into rawhide. The list of changes from 4.4.2.x is massive
> and a full summary needs a separate posting (will follow as time
> permits), this is just a heads-up of immediate consequences for Fedora
> packagers and rawhide consumers:
[snip]

Something I would like to see standard in RPM is for the default for
installation of source files from a .src.rpm file to be changed from
    %{_sourcedir}
    %{_sourcedir}/%{name}-%{version}

(The above example assumes the current definition of _sourcedir,
which the suggested implementation below proposes be changed).

With the above, multiple .src.rpm files could be installed simultaneously
without mixing their files in SOURCES.

Suggested implementation:

Change the definition of _sourcedir from
    %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCES/
    %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCES/%{name}-%{version}

I've done this in my .rpmmacros file for a long time and am happy with it.