pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Jul 10 10:29:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:32:16AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> Putting syslog on tmpfs by default and limiting the total size to something
> like 5MB would be something to evaluate for the default desktop.

I looked into this, and we're not actually doing too badly - our syslogd
doesn't fsync() after every log entry. I'm broadly in favour of using
tmpfs, though. There's an argument that certain priorities probably want
to stay on disk, but otherwise we can simply sync the tmpfs to disk on
shutdown or reboot.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org