Attention Spin Maintainers

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 20:15:29 UTC 2008

> I don't think spins should require Fedora Board approval every release.
> It should be a one time thing. Technical review can be done by the spin
> SIG.

That's correct, those two are a one-time shot, though subject to
re-review.  Neither of those are part of the Feature process.

> Didn't FESCo explicitly vote that spins are not features? I didn't
> see them reverse that decision. Besides what makes "desktop" and KDE
> variants not spins?

FESCo may have at one time, however it was ill advised.  Releng and the
SPINS sig want them to be features, and I'll use my powers in FESCo now
and the board as well if necessary to push that agenda.

Desktop and KDE are not "spins" because they are produced and qa'd as
part of the rest of the distribution like the Fedora spin.  They are in
essence the non-contrib part.  The board or FESCo could at some point
change what we produce as those images, in which case Desktop or KDE
would revert to a "spin" and thus go through that process and the
Feature process.

Features help us determine what is expected to work for a release, which
drives many things like QA plans, schedules, marketing, etc...  Knowing
what spins to expect is very very important.  There isn't always going
to be somebody to pick up the slack if a spin owner moves on, we don't
want to be creating these things in perpetuity if the owner isn't
around, testing it, fixing it, etc...

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!