Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Jul 12 19:00:47 UTC 2008

Le samedi 12 juillet 2008 à 14:30 -0400, Doug Ledford a écrit :

> Even if I thought Panu would take the header changes and any other
> possible things I might do to RPM, if the other people who control these
> other items of Fedora infrastructure are dead set against this type of
> work, then it's a waste of my time to futz around with it unless I'm
> willing to fork my own distro.  The responses I've gotten so far have
> not made me inclined to think the powers that be will even look at
> things, but I could be wrong.

As Jesse Keating tried to tell you, the reality is that the owerwhelming
majority of the code we package is not pure VCS dumps, because upstreams
massage their files manually before doing official releases, so being
able to base a package on a precise tar.gz as posted on upstream's
homepage is a hard requirement.

As long as your system can take this into account I don't think anyone
would mind having a more modern way to manage the stuff we put around
this upstream archive.

--
Nicolas Mailhot