Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Sun Jul 13 00:49:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:10:51 -0400
> Presumably one could replicate this as needed.  However, there is the
> question of whether or not it's needed.  Remember that the concept
> using an upstream tarball as the canonical source version that we
> represent to the world that we are using is nothing more than a
> policy decision. Nothing in the GPL or anything else said we had to
> do that, it was just what we *chose* to do (long, long ago, in a
> galaxy far, far away).

one thing to keep in mind... as comparison, what you don't want is what
Ubuntu is doing with their kernel (clone Linus and then just edit the
source tree); it's just one big nightmare (as you can imagine). Keeping
upstream source and local patches separate is a clear winner (anyone
who has worked on the alternative will agree with me).
If those upstream sources are a tarbal, or a tagged commit... is a lot
less relevant.