Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jul 13 07:23:15 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 13 juillet 2008 à 03:03 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> 2008/7/13 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
>

>         How about the 9/10th of packages I've been involved with since
>         I used
>         RHL or Fedora (I think I've passed my decade of use and
>         packaging now)?
>
> Part of Fedora's role in the larger Free Software community is to
> drive convergence and improvements in upstream projects.  This
> manifests in various ways, such as getting projects onto the same
> shared library versions, etc.  In this instance, if our tooling could
> be signinficantly improved by using revision control instead of
> tarballs (and I definitely believe that is the case) we can help move
> upstream.
>
> For example in GNOME it would not be a large workflow change to make
> it a hard requirement that tarball releases on ftp.gnome.org have a
> predictable correspondingly named SVN (or hopefully later git) tag.

Given that it's a lot of work just to convince projects to have sane
numbering and clear licensing, that even Red Hat (hello Liberation) has
been known to release high-profile material out of a VCS, that tag move
and history rewrite is rampant even in our own Fedora CVS, this seems a
hopeless cause to me. You keep giving big projects with lots of
resources as examples, but while a big part of the distribution, they're
not all of it.

--
Nicolas Mailhot