Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 14 17:06:11 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford <dledford <at> redhat.com> writes:
> And this is at least partially our own fault.  For instance, the fact
> that upstream opensm, libibcommon, libibumad, libibmad, librdmacm,
> libibcm, and a few others from the OFED package set run autogen.sh is
> because someone in Fedora told me to tell them to.  I originally told
> them not to and I was "corrected".

How about simply using a build system which doesn't suck?
http://www.cmake.org/

> For example, you can't really clone a subversion repository.

SVK might help there, or you could use one of the git-svn bridges out there.

I think the bigger problem is that many upstreams either don't use a public SCM
at all, have mutable tags (CVS, git and others allow moving a tag to a
different revision (CVS even allows doing that per-file, so you can have a mix
of old and new revisions in a tag), SVN even allows making changes to a tag
which exist nowhere else in the repository) or release tarballs which don't
match the SCM for several reasons.

        Kevin Kofler