process wakeups

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 11:06:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:57:56PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> I would hope the package maintainers can find some time and look at the
> issues.  Maybe at least document them in a BZ.  I might try to do the
> latter myself but given the large number of packages involved I'll most
> likely be able to cover just a few packages.  IMO it should be a release
> criteria that a program does use polling.

There are certain situations where polling is inevitable (such as
querying hardware for battery status or signal strength, pulling mail,
that kind of thing). Applications that do this should do it at
relatively low frequency, and where possible (ie, almost always) use
g_timeout_add_seconds or equivalent functionality. It's pretty
inevitable that we'll have one wakeup a second, and ensuring that all
applications that need to be woken during that second are woken at the
same time has a significant benefit on power consumption.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org