No answer to easy bug policy

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:39:20 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 12:46 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>> I'd rather prefer a policy for package maintainers to respond to specially
>> marked tickets from fellow fedora contributors in a timely manner. And
>> if that results in tickets which are still not answered, timeout periods
>> can be applied and give contributors the opportunity to prepare a
>> test update (and only a test update!).
>>

> I think that's pretty sane.  Would you be willing to take the existing
> policy and morph it more into the above?  In particular though I'd
> really like to see the policy get written up with input from those who
> are just drowning in bugzilla mail.
>
> One thing I think would really help is if SIG meetings took a little
> slice of time to quickly triage any bugs for packages related to the SIG
> that have some marking of easy fix.  Low hanging fruit isn't the really
> important work, but it goes a long way toward fit and polish.  A few
> minutes to triage and say yes/no/idon'tcare to these bugs would really
> help.  Maybe even a BugZapper person can join the meeting and be the
> person listing the bugs and following up in the bug for the SIG people.
>
> I don't want to make that mandatory at all, just highly suggested.

Instead of fixing maintainers in such a bureaucratic manner... why not
fix bugzilla's mailing list?

Ya'll have mentioned the issue of maintainers drowning in bugzilla
spam... and the majority of maintainers seem not to know and/or care how
to filter their mail... so why not do it for them? Why not use the list
of package maintainers and send a bug report only to those who are
maintainers for said package? (This can be easily modified to add the
list of CCs to those included in the bug report list)
A.) This would cut down on the amount of bugzilla spam each maintainer
has to sort through
B.) This can be an option set in the users preferences that can be
turned off if desired.
C.) Will, likely, reduce the amount of time it takes to fix bugs.

Just a thought... but it seems to me to be a better way to help the
developers without adding undue pressure.
Lyos Gemini Norezel