No answer to easy bug policy

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:33:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:08:59 -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 11:39 -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> >
> >> Ya'll have mentioned the issue of maintainers drowning in bugzilla
> >> spam... and the majority of maintainers seem not to know and/or care how
> >> to filter their mail... so why not do it for them? Why not use the list
> >> of package maintainers and send a bug report only to those who are
> >> maintainers for said package? (This can be easily modified to add the
> >> list of CCs to those included in the bug report list)
> >> A.) This would cut down on the amount of bugzilla spam each maintainer
> >> has to sort through
> >> B.) This can be an option set in the users preferences that can be
> >> turned off if desired.
> >> C.) Will, likely, reduce the amount of time it takes to fix bugs.
> >>

> > I think you misunderstood the problem.  The mails that we are talking
> > about /are/ the bugzilla mails directed specifically at individuals or
> > specific mailing lists for that package.  For some maintainers/software
> > even that is far far too much, across every active Fedora/RHEL variant.
> >

> Perhaps it's the fact that I don't have any packages at the moment...
> but I receive ALL bugzilla list email. Regardless of whether or not I
> have any interest in it.

What list is that? Your problem sounds like it's a different one.
We don't refer to any list.
The mailing-lists for package reviews are something else. They
are fully optional.

In bugzilla you only get email for tickets where you are the assignee,
or Cc, or the reporter, or you watch somebody else, or your address
appears in any of the fields (QA Contact e.g.). Some of the mails
when other people post comments can be disabled in your bugzilla
preferences.

The problem is that a) several people maintain *many* packages, where
"many" is multiple dozens or even hundreds of packages, and b) some
packages have too many bugs which are reported, e.g. the kernel or
xorg-x11.

> This is what I meant in my earlier email... people are drowning in bz
> spam from bugs that aren't even theirs.

No.