handling a 'debug' or 'development' setting

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 18:36:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 06:02:50PM -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
 > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 18:24 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
 > > 1) What can we reasonably set?
 > >
 > >    Right now, there's MALLOC_CHECK_ and MALLOC_PERTURB. There
 > >    should be more. Is there anything in the various desktops
 > >    that is appropriate?
 >
 > I would love it if, when this 'debug mode' is active, any package
 > installation would automagically install the relevant debuginfos to
 > accompany it. (Likewise, any package removal should remove the leaf
 > debuginfo.)

If that happens it should definitly be optional given the size of
debuginfo packages.  I can't think of a single situation where I'd
need the debuginfo for every package installed.  Installing them
on demand before running gdb is painful, but a lot less so than
sitting around twiddling thumbs waiting for yum to update several
gig of debuginfos.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk