Issue with re- or unbranding

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Jul 18 15:22:43 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> The idea is that if you're adding packages, etc., you'd be pointing
>> at your own repos, in which case you already want to modify *-release.
>
> Not necessarily. It is usually enough to add a *-release file, without
> modifying fedora-release. Even if you modify some packages, you can easily
> override Fedora's versions e.g. by using Epochs.

One could add other *-release RPMs, yeah. Those could just install the
RPM GPG keys and .repo files -and be done with it. There'd be rebranding
involved but it wouldn't force one to not use the Fedora repositories on
such a system.

Having to provide capability 'system-release', possibly with a higher
nevra, is what I'd call "replacing the fedora-release package" as
opposed to just replacing 'fedora-logos', which would mean a challenge
for the users attempting rebranding/debranding.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip