consolidating on gnupg2 in F10

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 17:12:40 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 09:11:21 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > For a really long time now, we've shipped both gnupg and gnupg2
> > in Fedora. In fact, in Fedora 9 a relatively standard install will
> > get both installed.
>
> > It appears a good number of these can be ported to gnupg2, if not
> > all of them. Should we wire up a feature page?
>
> Imo, yes, it's a worthy goal to get these ported so that at least gnupg(1)
> doesn't land in any default install.
>
> fyi, here's my inquiry upstrem on whether it's possible or a good idea to
> try dropping gnupg1:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2008-July/024485.html
>
> answer: probably not a good idea.

Why did you come to that conclusion? We don't support IDEA and Suse did
mention that they have switched to only GPG2. The only caution is around
gpg-agent.

> So, that leaves consolidating/standardizing on gnupg2, as something still
> worthwhile.

Agreed. We need to pursue this as GPG1 cannot take advantage of any FIPS-140-2
certified libraries. We need to find the rough spots and work them out.

-Steve