Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Wed Jul 23 00:00:52 UTC 2008

Tim Jackson wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote (to a bad address copied from a bad address in my

Just a clarification to this statement, the voting form states:

"Fedora Project has implemented Range Voting for this election, in
particular the "Range (score-summing, blanks treated as zero score, no
quorum rule)" range voting system.

To cast your vote in this election simply select a value between 0 and 9
with 0 as 'least or no preference' and 9 as 'highest preference'.

At the end of the election, the highest ranking candidate(s) are marked
as the winners."

This means:
* There is no need for a 'No Opinion' option
 - "No Opinion" options are only useful for elections using 'averaging',
where it basically acts as an abstain.  An Averaging variation of Range
Voting would add all the numerical 'scores' for a candidate, and then
divide by number of non-no opinion voters, it'd then have to (from
memory) reach a quorum of x% of the maximum possible vote (this is
debated because there are SO MANY different variations)...
 - As such, use 0 to facilitate a blank ballot/no opinion
* It is possible to fill in the form with all zero's
 - However this will have little/no effect, except to say in the end of
ballot that x voted with x including yourself (useful in a way to show
the number of people interested in voting)
* There is a small mistake in the text
 - highest 'ranking' candidate(s) should read highest 'scoring'
candidates (this is fixed in my working copy.

As an extra note, the CFRV, while a useful resource is quite bias to a
variation of Range Voting which we don't use, it's particularly focused
around promoting Range Voting as a decent format for a presidential
election (that's my take anyway).

On a side note, there are other forms of voting similar to Range Voting,
that form a (in my opinion) much fairer system, one I can think of off
the top of my head, is STV, while complicated it does work and is quite
effective for single horse and multiple horse races.

- Nigel
Fedora Elections Guru