A PackageKit browser plugin

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Jul 24 20:14:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 14:39 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> We've been working on a website for browsing (rating, commenting,
> etc) available applications for Fedora. As part of that we wanted
> to be able to install/run software from the website.

Awesome. I've been sitting, staring at Xbox Live Arcade and wondering
when we can get similar ease of use.

> Given wide usage of PackageKit and availability of the plugin, this
> could also be pretty neat to put on third-party project pages. The
> information you provide as parameters to the plugin is:
>
>  The name of the application for display
>  A list of possible package names
>  A list of possible desktop file names for the application
>
> So it should be pretty robust against inter-distro differences in
> package names.

Icky. In the long run what we really need is to put a UUID field into
the .desktop specification, and instruct upstream projects to generate a
UUID for their application. Ta da, a reliable, cross-distribution, and
package manager neutral way to uniquely identify an application.