A PackageKit browser plugin

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 08:44:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Robin Norwood <rnorwood at redhat.com> wrote:
> The target audiences are different.

If you are driving users to a different site than the package
maintainers... and allowing them to comment...you are going to cause a
communication gap. A driveby commenting and rating system among users
where the maintainers are not encouraged to also interact with...does
nothing to get that feedback to the people who are doing the work. Nor
does it help those of us doing the work figure out which of our users
are worth encouraging to take the next step and start helping.  Make
the same site expose specific functionality for users, and
contributors.  There's really no reason I should not be able to use
the exact same website to see user comments on my packages...and do
the packagedb interactions which lets me elevate other
contributors/users as co-maintainers on those very same packages.
If i have to go to yet another website to see what users are saying
about my packages, I will most likely end up forgetting to do
it...even though I actually care.
Focusing an interface strickly for users...doesn't help us inteact
with users in a way that actually matters. Users talking among
themselves does not lead to better package quality nor additional
contributor manpower.

If you want to make a better package browsing interface...great...do
it as an extension to the SAME website that I have to already interact
with to do my ownership/watching packagedb manipulation as a
contributor.

-jef