OT: (?) Calling on Fedora/RedHat ML managers to clean up Fedora-list.

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 10:54:52 UTC 2008

* Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> [20080728 12:26]:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:40:52AM +0200, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > * Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> [20080728 06:47]:
> > >
> > > Basically you want a mailinglist for all the discussions that
> > > experienced users and contributors are tired of seeing repeated?
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > comp.os.linux.advocacy - something along those lines. If you call it
> > "fedora-advocacy", "fedora-politics" or
> > "fedora-welcome-to-where-idiots-roam", I don't really mind.
>
> Seconded. I've given up on the fedora-list for the most part, and its driving
> users way from the Fedora project. I don't care if its fedora-ranting, or
> just fedora-without-alexanfre-and-les we set up but soemthing needs doing
> before it has a debian-legal like toxic effect on the whole userbase

Considering the length, and amount, of threads that topic spawned,
there seems to be excessive willingness and energy to debate that
topic.

Splitting out the advocacy / hairsplitting / holy-war /
I'm-more-right-than-you-are type debates to a separate list ought to
be a "Project Self Preservation" action. Bit like the -sounder list in
Ubuntu (like someone else mentioned) where I even think you're warned
that topics will be inflammatory.

fedora-list, do correct me if I am off base, intention was for users
to be able to turn to with queries or requests for help, or just to
get advise on how to go about doing things with Fedora.
Not to get sunk in a veritable swamp of irrelevant, rehashed religious
style diatrabe.

If users first interaction with Fedora is fedora-list, "the August
2008 archives", I'll understand if they punt the Fedora ISO's into the
trash and hop off elsewhere. No, really.

> That or the fedora board could actually tell them to shut up and kick them off
> if they don't

Something equivalent to the Code Of Conduct that Canonical
implemented. It worked on the ubuntu lists. No reason it would not
work here.

/Anders